Gathering a Heritage : Ukrainian, Slavonic, and Ethnic Canada and the USA / Thomas M. Prymak. – Toronto; Buffalo; London: University of Toronto Press, 2015. – XIV, 364 р.. – ISBN 978-1-4426-4635-3 (cloth). – 978-1-4426-1438-3 (paper).
Since the 1970s and 1980s, the study of immigration and ethnicity has grown to become an essential aspect of North American history. In Gathering a Heritage, Thomas M. Prymak uses the essays and articles he has written over the past thirty years as a historian of Ukrainian and Ukrainian Canadian history to reflect on the evolution of ethnic studies in Canada and the United States.
The essays included in this book explore the history of Ukrainian and Slavonic immigration to North America and the literature through which these communities and their historians have sought to recapture their past. Each previously published essay is revised and expanded and several more appear here for the first time - including the fascinating story of French Canadian writer Gabrielle Roy's connections with Ukrainian Canadians and her tumultuous affair with a Ukrainian Canadian nationalist in pre-war London.
Preface. - С. IX–XII
Acknowledgments. - С. XIII–XIV
Introduction. - С. 3–19
1) The Great Migration: East-Central Europe to the Americas in the Literatures of the Slavs: Some Examples. - С. 23–37
2) A Little-Known Book from the Late Soviet Period on the Economic Emigration from Imperial Russia to Western Europe and North America, 1880-1914. - С. 38–47
3) Ivan Franko and Large-Scale Ukrainian Economic Emigration to Canada before 1914. - С. 48–60
4) A Polish Scholar on Polyethnic Emigration from the Republic of Poland to Canada between the Wars. - С. 61–75
History, Historians, and Others
5) Dmytro Doroshenko and Canada. - С. 79–99
6) General Histories of Ukraine Published in English during the Second World War: Canada, the United States, and Britain. - С. 100–118
7) George W. Simpson, the Ukrainian Canadians, and the "Prehistory” of Slavic Studies in Canada. - С. 119–132
8) The Post-Secondary Teaching of Ukrainian History in Canada:. - С. 133–143
9) Ukrainian Scholarship in the West during the "Long Cold War”. - С. 144–156
10) Lubomyr Wynar and the Ukrainian Historical Association in the United States and Canada. - С. 157–168
11) In the Shadow of a Political Assassination: Gabrielle Roy’s "Stephen” and the Ukrainian Canadians. - С. 169–190
Library Studies and Reference Works
12) Inveterate Voyager: J. B. Rudnyckyj on Ukrainian Culture, Books, and Libraries in the West during the "Long Cold War”. - С. 193–213
13) Scholarship on Mykhailo Hrushevsky during the Early 1980s: Ukrainian Books and Libraries in Canada and the United States. - С. 214–232
14) Ukrainian Canada in the Encyclopedias, 1897-2010:. - С. 233–261
15) Ukrainian Canadians and Ukrainian Americans: Some Reflections and Comparisons. - С. 265–278
Appendix: Publishing Histories. - С. 281–282 Notes. - С. 283–350 Index. - С. 351–364